$25 including postage
ALTURAS sin palabras is a stunning collection of contemporary tango-influenced music, recorded at Saxproof Studios in Leura. This instrumental CD is filled with dark moody tangos with soaring jazz saxophone and piano solos.
It also includes some gorgeous pieces from Venezuela and Brazil with subtle suggestions of tango as well as some Piazzolla and little known masterpieces.
Featured on ABC Radio National Daily Planet 4/5/15
1. Desde Otros Tiempos (Pablo Ziegler) - strong modern tango with improvised sax and piano solos - lyrical interludes on violin and flute (5:57)
2. Milonga Sin Palabras (Astor Piazzolla) - slow, dark milonga featuring bass clarinet, viola, alto flute, piano and double bass melodies (5:36)
3. Ayer mi Hija (Rodolfo Mederos) - understated, moody milonga with bandoneon and improvised piano and clarinet solos (4:36)
4. Once Again… Milonga (Pablo Ziegler) - uptempo jazzy milonga with piano and sax solos (5:05)
5. Merida (Edward Simon) - modern Venezuelan piece with sparse, beautiful melody, subtle piano and bass solo, building up to powerful tenor sax solo. Subtle tango references (6:29)
6. Milonga á Trois (Greg Gibson) - Australian composed, strong bass line & solo (4:22)
7. Lejos (Fernando Egozcue) - lyrical contrapuntal melodies, sax solo (4:08)
8. Taquito Militar (Mariano Mores) - traditional, fast milonga with modern intro and jazz sax and piano solos (3:51)
9. Alfonsina y el Mar (Ariel Ramirez) - haunting traditional Argentinean piece with jazz sax and piano solos (5:35)
10. Milonga del Viento (Jane Andino) - Australian composed, fast contemporary milonga with jazz solos on bass clarinet and piano (4:19)
11. Cantilena (Heitor Villa-Lobos) - Popular aria from Bachianas Brasileiras No 5. Begins with bandoneon, double bass and piano, building up with viola into smooth bossa sax solo, then a hint of milonga rhythm (6:14)